There are tons of statistics about home burglaries, but the bottom line is that your home is as safe as you make it. Obviously, having a home security system is a huge deterrent to burglars, but don’t stop there.
Here are seven home security tips that anyone can implement fairly easily.
- Plan to “burglarize” yourself. You’ll find any weaknesses in your security system that you may not have noticed.
- Install a peephole in the door separating the house from the garage. If you hear suspicious sounds, you can check without opening the door (TIP: use a wide-angle160-degree peephole).
- Don’t leave notes for on the door – that is an announcement that you aren’t home.
- A door with too much space between the door and the frame is an invitation for the burglar to use a jimmy.
- On all your exterior doors, install a heavy-duty strike plate with 3” screws. That will make it much harder for a burglar to break in through your doors.
- Don’t give burglars a place to hide – keep your bushes trimmed.
- A dark house is an invitation for a burglar. Leave your front porch light on in the evening, or install a motion-sensor light.